Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Fascination With Antique Book Illustration

There is nothing I love better than going to an estate sale and finding a collection of vintage illustrated books. That is the jackpot for me!

I truly believe all books -- particularly all fiction -- should be illustrated. Artistic illustrations certainly create a more collectible book. Illustrations are like the decor in a home. They can make it more beautiful, more true to its essence.

I recall going through a collection of Limited Editions Club books I acquired. I was looking through each of the Shakespeare volumes. Now, a Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorite Shakespearean plays -- the fairies, the fantasy, the forest.  Prior to opening the book, I had a vision in my head of what the illustrations should look like. I opened the book to find Arthur Rackham's interpretation of the play was perfect -- capturing the essence of A Midsummer Night's Dream. The soft colors, his light-handed, mystical style . . . just right.

Those types of books are a treasure to behold. If you have any stories of books that are perfectly illustrated please share them. 






books 2-2 003

books 2-2 002

No comments:

Post a Comment