Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Many Illustrators of Anna Sewell's Black Beauty

I don't know how many different artists have illustrated a version of Black Beauty since it was first published in 1877. It may be the children's book with the most editions. I have read that the Bible is the only book that has sold more copies. It's popularity is a testament not only to the quality of the book, but also to the scores of animal lovers in the world. Anna Sewell told a story that needed to be told -- after all the centuries of servitude the horse has given mankind. It lives on today as a reminder to be kind to all living beings.
Every time I see a version of Black Beauty at a book sale, I buy it. Here are some interpretations:

Perhaps my favorite Black Beauty, by Wesley Dennis. Very soft, fluid. The perfect illustration for the narrative, "I remember a large pleasant meadow."

horses 11-2 076

The Walter Seaton Black Beauty, nice.

bb walter seaton

Cute Black Beauty art for young readers -- Wonder Book's BB with a little girl by George Santos

bb wonder book

Samuel Lowe's BB with a boy by George Pollard

bb georg pollard samuel lowe

Distinctive style of Fritz Eichenberg

horses 11-2 075

And a "modern times" black Beauty by Susan Jeffers. Love her dreamy style, lots of attention to surrounding details. Nice lines.

bb susan jeffers

5 comments:

  1. This was very interesting to read, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you might be able to list the various editions and their illustrators ? I have heard that one such lived in Hampshire, circa 1920? and she used as a model "Black Prince", a cavalry charger given to Sir Robert Baden-Powell, a near neighbour of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno WHY it says "Unknown" - it's ME Robin Clay ! I'll try again...

      Ha ! "An error occurred while contacting the server."

      Delete
  3. If you were able to find a listing of illustrators please let me know. I had the MOST beautiful book(it was almost like a old big "golden book", but it was just beautiful. It had a gold cover and was a larger book. I have looked for it for years. It would have been illustrated I think in the 1950's. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be thinking of 1952 Scribners version, text adapted for younger children by Paul Brown, with his illustrations throughout. Beautifully done, but quite expensive, when it can be found.

      Delete